To put some context around this,
Infrastructure consists of,
- 2 front end load balanced web servers,
- clustered SQL Server in a SAN,
- a separate Reporting Services box.
- All virtualised.
Fast forward 4 weeks later and the issue still hadn't been resolved.
The tally now was,
- 5 support cases opened/escalated,
- approx 20-30 support engineers had worked on this from PA and Microsoft,
- a Priority A case opened at MS where they actually replicate the client environment for their own testing - suspecting that a hotfix would be needed.
So the issue? - yeah I was getting to that....
The cause of the problem: an invisible space at the end of the following configuration screen in MOSS's central admin site:
One of the observant MS support tech's picked it up from a log file that had this line where the + represents a space...
/reportserver+/ReportService2006.asmx - 8080
I'll never copy/paste again :)